- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1½ pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1¼ cups red lentils
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 cubes no-chicken bouillon cubes or vegetable bouillon
- 1½ teaspoons crushed red chili flakes
- 2 to 3 leaves lime leaves, optional
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups water
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- Crushed red chili flakes, cilantro, black pepper or fried shallots, for garnish
- In a soup pot over medium-low heat, add the coconut oil. When it is hot, add onions and stir. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add butternut squash, lentils, Thai red curry paste, bouillon cubes, crushed red chili flakes, lime leaves (if using) and kosher salt. Stir for 3 to 4 minutes, making sure to break up the bouillon and incorporate all ingredients.
- Add water, turn the heat up to medium-high, and allow soup to boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the heat down to low, cover and let the soup simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Take the lid off the soup and stir in the coconut milk. Season to taste and serve, garnished with additional crushed red pepper, black pepper, cilantro or fried shallots. Serves 8.